The health and safety of our patients and teammates is our top priority. We are keeping a close eye on this situation and reinforcing the extensive infection control practices already in place to protect them. Please watch an important video and find resources on this page.
A Focus on Patients
Patients with kidney disease are among the most complex, highest cost patient populations in the U.S. DaVita aims to partner with nephrologists to provide integrated, value-based care to meet patients’ total health needs.
In July 2019, the U.S. Administration released an Executive Order on Advancing American Kidney Health. The executive order prioritizes alternatives to in-center dialysis treatments for patients with end stage kidney disease (ESKD) that can improve quality of life, such as home dialysis and kidney transplant.
We believe our holistic approach to care aligns with the Administration’s goals while also offering care that may help delay kidney disease progression for CKD patients and smooth the transition to ESKD.
A Complex Patient Population1
ESKD patients account for 7.2% of Medicare costs
1% of Medicare patients have ESKD
Integrated Care Across the Continuum
DaVita® Integrated Kidney Care (IKC) specializes in comprehensive kidney care and complex chronic condition management. This personalized care spans the kidney care continuum, from awareness and patient identification in early stages of CKD to smooth transitions to and treatment optimization of ESKD.
years of clinical experience
increase in patients receiving comprehensive IKC services
patients served every month
Net Promoter Score (NPS)2, which falls in the category of excellent services.
DaVita IKC’s focus on value-based care programs has demonstrated positive results across outcomes, experience and cost reduction.3
increase in home dialysis utilization
lower hospitalization rate
savings in addressable costs
lower readmission rate
“They made it personal and that made things much easier for me to get through.”
—Sherrie, DaVita IKC patient
Holistic Care in Action
Whether a patient has just been diagnosed with CKD, is transitioning to dialysis or considering a transplant, DaVita’s robust patient education programs can empower them to participate in their health care decisions.
Kidney Smart® has provided award-winning, in-depth kidney care education to more than 190,000 people4 online and in person—at no cost. Educated patients can lead to empowered decisions and positive outcomes.5
lower hospitalization rate
likelihood of starting dialysis at home
fewer missed treatments
Online CKD Management Tools for Patients
growth of home vs in-center programs6
Home Care Innovation
Home dialysis, through either peritoneal dialysis (PD) or home hemodialysis (HHD), offers patients more control over treatment schedules and allows them more time to do the things they enjoy such as spending time with loved ones.
Our telehealth platform, released in 2019, offers features so home dialysis patients can stay connected with their care team:
Care partner engagement
patients on home dialysis, more than any other provider7
Transplant as an Ideal Solution
DaVita believes that a kidney transplant is often an ideal treatment option for people who have ESKD. Through our multimedia education program Transplant Smart®, launched in 2019, patients and their loved ones get an in-depth look at the transplant process, from what to expect during the evaluation and how to find a donor to preparing for and recovering from surgery, and living with a new kidney.
“Being at DaVita gave me answers.” —Gaylon,
kidney transplant recipient
Gaylon's Transplant Story
1. Source: United States Renal Data System. 2018 USRDS annual data report: Epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD, 2018.
2. Among patients surveyed; A score of 70 or higher is considered excellent. Net Promoter, Net Promoter Score, NPS and the NPS-related emoticons are registered trademarks of Bain & Company, Inc., Fred Reichheid and Satmetric Systems, Inc.
3. In specific markets; Internal DaVita data.
4. Internal DaVita data, 2019.
5. DaVita Internal Clinical Outcomes Study, May 2016-March 2018. While Kidney Smart provides education on all modality choices, Kidney Smart-educated patients have been shown to choose PD at a higher rate than patients that did not receive Kidney Smart education.
6. Based on the comparative growth rate for twelve month periods ended June 2019 and June 2018 respectively.
7. Nephrology News & Issues, Sept. 2018.
8. Nephrology News & Issues, Sept. 2018.2019 DaVita Internal Analysis.